HAILING OUR UNSUNG HEROES
We all know that one young person who inspires us with their vision, dedication and hard work.
This is a hero who runs an inspirational project or a forward-thinking organisation that makes people’s lives a little easier in their cities, towns and villages of South Africa. This is a resilient young person who prefers doing rather than talking. They see opportunity where others see gloom. They are leaders in their fields, leaders of tomorrow. But this young hero remains unsung and their work is largely unknown.
Sunday World is giving you a chance to honour these visionary young leaders. We are looking for UNSUNG HEROES under the age of 35 who are pioneers in their fields. Heroes who are admired by their peers and rivals alike.
Nominate your unsung hero
Do you have somebody you admire and you strongly feel is an UNSUNG HERO in business, science, agriculture, arts, sports, culture, health, or the academic world? Or somebody who works tirelessly at grassroots level to improve the lives of others?
You could win R10 000.00 in our lucky nomination draw. If your UNSUNG HERO is chosen, they will be profiled in a special edition of Sunday World and will be heralded as a 2021 Sunday World UNSUNG Hero at a special live virtual event and will be hailed as one of the Sunday World Heroes of 2021.
There are five nomination categories, and you can nominate as many unsung heroes as you wish across all our country’s provinces.
Category 1: Leading young people in business who are creating change in the world of commerce, industry, SMME’s, tech, medicine, research, science, health, agriculture and aligned professions.
Category 2: Community Youth heroes who are leading others to a better and hopeful future.
Category 3: Heroes in Sport, Arts and Culture: Leaders and changemakers in sport or arts & culture who define themselves through performance, language, writing, music, and visual arts.
Category 4: Youth in Academia: Those who lead in Tvet Colleges, universities, and academic endeavour and inspiring a next generation of scholars.
Category 5: Young people in Government: National, Provincial and local Government workers who go beyond the call of duty to provide a better life for all.
Entries close on 21 May 2021. You can start nominating today if your nominee is between the ages of 18 and 35 and will be no older than 35 on 30 June 2021.
By choosing youth as heroes for change, Sunday World Unsung Heroes will define ways that influence flows across generations. We seek to identify young people who are change-makers and are poised to be our leaders of tomorrow.
These unsung heroes deserve to be known and celebrated. You can help by nominating them today.
Criteria For Entry
- The Sunday World is looking for youthful Heroes who change the world and Unsung Heroes who make the world a better place.
- All nominees must be between the ages of 18 and 35 on June 30 2021.
- A hero is somebody who is admired for their conviction. For their determination and courage. For their honesty and helpfulness.
- Heroes are inspirational and are genuinely good people who take a leadership role in inviting change and progress.
General Terms And Conditions
These following terms and conditions for purposes of entry shall apply:
- An individual can self-nominate or choose to nominate an individual belonging to their community or workplace whom they believe has an exceptional ability in leading a community, an organisation, a group, a university, a governmental body or a sport’s team. This unsung hero must be someone who works in the community for the good and betterment of the citizens (or animals) of South Africa.
- The person must be a South African citizen, older than 18 years of age and younger than 35 on 30 June 2021.
- Your nomination must include the following:
- Name and surname of the nominee and their contact details.
- Your name and contact details (the nominator).
- An explanation in about 200 words why the young person should be celebrated and what they have done to deserve your nomination.
- Your nomination will be forwarded to your nominee who must then furnish and verify details and prove date of birth.
- The nominee will then be requested to provide further information in relation to their nomination. It is the responsibility of the nominee to ensure that the information provided is accurate and complete. If any of the information provided by the nominee in relation to this project is found to be inaccurate, invalid, false or misleading, such an entry shall be disregarded and the nominee will be prohibited from participation.
- It is the nominator’s responsibility to ensure that the entry is received by Sunday World prior to the closure of the project (before or by 14 May 2021). Any entries not received by Sunday World prior to the closure of the competition will not be eligible to participate, regardless of the reasons of late entry. Sunday World is not responsible for any entries that are not received by Sunday World, whether timeously or at all, regardless of the cause thereof.
- Sunday World is not responsible for any injury or damage to your or any other’s person’s device used to enter into, or obtain any material related to this project.
- A panel of leaders from various fields will assess the entries and choose Sunday World’s first Unsung Heroes 35 (or younger) in time to celebrate Youth Month in June 2021, 45 years after the historic June 16, 1976 Uprisings.
- The successful candidates will be notified by means of the contact details provided to Sunday World. All entrants will be invited to a virtual event to celebrate their recognition and will be awarded a certificate to note their achievement as a Sunday World Unsung Hero 2021. In addition all Heroes will receive a 3- month subscription to Sunday World. T&Cs apply – non- distribution areas, including Western and Eastern Cape, will receive e-editions.
- Sunday World reserves the right to vary, postpone, suspend or cancel the project or any aspect thereof without notice at any time, for any reason which we deem necessary. In the event of such variation, postponement, suspension or cancellation, you (the nominee and/or nominator) agree to waive any rights, interests and expectations that you may have in terms of this project and acknowledge that you will have no recourse against Sunday World.
- You agree that your participation in the project and your acceptance or any aspect thereof is at your own risk.
- The decision of the judges/assessors is final and binding on you, and no correspondence will be entered into.
- All nominators will automatically be entered into an independent draw for one nominator to win R10,000 in a prize draw.