Free State MEC Zanele Sifuba’s clash with HOD threatens Macufe  

Drama has erupted in the Free State Department of Sports, Arts, Culture and Recreation (SACR) over the Mangaung Cultural Festival (Macufe) event. 

The R18-million Macufe, which hosts a series of arts events including music, poetry, theatre and comedy, is scheduled to take place early next month. However, a fierce war has erupted between SACR MEC Zanele Sifuba and her head of department, Steve Molato Tshabalala, that could scupper the popular festival. 

Sifuba has threatened to withdraw the delegation of power and duties to Tshabalala, the driver behind the festival, after accusing him of not co-operating with her. 

Sifuba, whose sex tape broke the internet in 2022 while she was the Speaker of the Free State Legislature, after it was leaked by her alleged Nigerian boyfriend, wrote to Tshabalala, reminding him who is the boss.  

She told him that by the power vested in her, any delegation of a power or authorisation to Tshabalala “to perform a duty in terms of this section may, at any time, be withdrawn”. 

The letter Sifuba signed on July 29, stated:  

“As the executive authority and department responsible for developing and implementing a programme for the successful hosting of Macufe 2025, you have not cooperated with me, despite several enquiries on the progress.  

“When I asked you about progress on the hosting of the programme as requested by the premier (Maqueen Letsoha-Mathae) you took a leave of absence.” 

Sifuba further stated that she took it upon herself to establish a task team to implement the programme after realising that there was nothing done in preparation for the annual event.  

“Instead, you said you were waiting for me when the delegation was given to you in terms of Public Service Regulations read with PSA regulations.  

“On your return, you continued to refuse to cooperate, contradicting the statement that was made by the premier and myself as MEC of the department that Macufe will take place in 2025.  

“Kindly take further notice that this conduct on your part makes it impossible for me as an executive authority to perform my duties in accordance with Regulations 25 and 26 of Public Service Regulations, 2001.” 

Sifuba invited Tshabalala to give reasons why the delegations should not be withdrawn “within 48 hours of receipt of this notice”. 

Two days later, on July 31, Tshabalala wrote back.  

“It is difficult to respond to allegations levelled against me, as the MEC’s letter is vague and doesn’t set out what constitutes a lack of cooperation with sufficient detail to enable my response.” 

He further wrote that her statement was “not only false but blatantly defamatory of my character and station as HOD for the department of SACR”. 

“When I applied for annual leave, I neither knew nor anticipated that the premier intended to write a letter of enquiry to the MEC.” 

He said when the letter was sent via email after hours on June 18, he had already applied for his annual leave the day before, which was approved by the MEC on June 19. 

“Despite being on annual leave, I did respond and adhered to the deadline. On the 19th of May 2025, I sent the MEC, Macufe presentation and awaited the MEC’s further directive since the MEC had instructed that the presentation to the cluster should only be done by the MEC’s instruction.  

“It must also be noted that the MEC established a Macufe task team on the 24th of June 2025, while I was on approved annual leave.”  

Tshabalala said that he was not aware of any of his conduct that has prohibited Sifuba from doing her job, warning that a withdrawal of delegation would impact delivery negatively.  

Responding on behalf of Sifuba, departmental spokesperson Tankiso Zola said: “Please note that the MEC does not have any comments on the issues raised in your enquiry, as its subject matter is an internal matter grounded in the letter and spirit of employer-employee relations.” 

Tshabalala did not respond to questions sent to him at the time of going to print. 

Visit SW YouTube Channel for our video content

Latest News