It’s all to play for heading into the penultimate round of matches in the DStv Diski Challenge.
The title race could be decided on Saturday or extended to a final-day showdown, or even bring back into the mix third-placed Orlando Pirates, according to supersport.com
The only thing we know is that Stellenbosch FC and SuperSport United are the two teams with a real chance of being crowned champions. Third-placed Orlando Pirates, mathematically, are still in the hunt, but are out of it in reality.
Stellenbosch have a tricky clash against unpredictable Maritzburg United on Saturday at Princess Magogo Stadium at 10am. SuperSport will be up against Golden Arrows on the same day at the same venue at 12.30pm.
Pirates, who are now relying on other results, will face Baroka at Makhulong Stadium in Tembisa on Sunday at 12.30pm. All the teams have played 28 matches.
- Stellenbosch lead the log with 58 points – they are two points ahead of second-placed SuperSport, who have accumulated 56 points, and Pirates are third with 54 points.
• A win for Stellenbosch on Saturday and a defeat or draw for SuperSport will mean the Cape-based side are the champions as they would have 61 points which no other team would be able to reach.
- If Stellies play a draw and SuperSport win their match, they will be level on 59 points, but Stellies will keep the number-one spot as they have a positive goal difference of +35.
- A handsome win for SuperSport and defeat for Stellies will see SuperSport topping the log with 59 points going to the season finale.
- If Stellenbosch and SuperSport both lose and Pirates win, that would revive Pirates’ chances of winning the title, pending what happens on the final day. – supersport
Follow @SundayWorldZA on Twitter and @sundayworldza on Instagram, or like our Facebook Page, Sunday World, by clicking here for the latest breaking news in South Africa. To Subscribe to Sunday World, click here