The much-awaited implementation of video assistant refereeing (VAR) is stuck in the South African Football Association’s red tape and bureaucracy. This means VAR will not be happening in this coming PSL season, which gets under way in a couple of weeks.
Even though Minister of Sports, Arts and Culture Gayton McKenzie donated R20-million for VAR late last year, the tender for the technical provider and equipment has not been finalised, and training of referees has not started, leaving its implementation in South Africa a mere pipe dream at this stage.
VAR played a major role in the recently-completed 2016 Fifa World Cup. Local fans are demanding the refereeing technology be introduced in professional soccer.
In the past couple of seasons, referees in the PSL have been struggling with their officiating and were under pressure after a number of erroneous calls left supporters, coaches and officials livid, questioning some match officials and accusing them of match-fixing. McKenzie even put his head on the block when he proclaimed that VAR would be available at the beginning of the coming season. He was adamant about that after crying foul in various matches, where wrong decisions were made by referees. He said he wanted to fix local football.
Referees who operate in PSL matches fall under the ambit of Safa, the football governing mother body in the country. On Friday, McKenzie told Sunday World that they were writing a follow-up letter to Safa, demanding an explanation for the delay.
Safa head of referees, Abdul Ebrahim, said: “Look, as you know, we have a VAR project team in place. And as far as the VAR project team is concerned, they have done all the groundwork and they’ve made the recommendation with an adjudication report that was sent to the Safa CEO [Lydia Monyepao], which was submitted to the national executive committee (NEC) for approval.
“The project team is now awaiting the approval from the NEC to give the go-ahead. We do know that the department of sport has deposited money for the VAR rollout.
“With the project team in place, it’s just a matter of getting the approval.
“To be honest, at the start of the season, we’re not going to have VAR because of the training. I don’t want to say there is no way that we will have VAR in the upcoming 2026/27 season. I’ve been involved in quite a few VAR training sessions. I can tell you now, the training is very extensive. At the start of the current season, without training, we won’t have the match officials to do VAR from the start,” Ebrahim said.
The retired Fifa referee said that once they received the approval, the VAR project team would organise a media briefing with the CEO to inform everybody of the next steps.
“It is part of the protocol. The NEC needs to approve the recommendation from the VAR project team with regard to the service technical provider. And once all those approvals are in place, then the project team can take the next steps.”
PSL acting CEO Mato Madlala refused to comment on the matter “VAR is the responsibility of Safa, and I do not have anything to say about VAR.”
- VAR implementation in South African PSL is stalled due to SAFa's bureaucratic delays despite a R20-million government donation.
- The tender process for technical providers and referee training has not been completed, making VAR unavailable for the upcoming season.
- Refereeing controversies in recent PSL seasons heightened public demand for VAR; Minister Gayton McKenzie had promised its introduction.
- SAFa's VAR project team has completed groundwork and awaits national executive committee approval to proceed.
- VAR training is extensive, and without it, officials can't operate VAR matches, delaying the technology's rollout beyond the 2026/27 season start.
Even though Minister of Sports, Arts and Culture Gayton McKenzie donated R20-million for VAR late last year, the tender for the technical provider and equipment has not been finalised, and training of referees has not started, leaving its implementation in
VAR played a major role in the recently-completed 2016 Fifa World Cup. Local fans are demanding the refereeing technology be introduced in professional soccer.
In the past couple of seasons, referees in the PSL have been struggling with their officiating and were under pressure after a number of erroneous calls left supporters, coaches and officials livid, questioning some match officials and accusing them of match-fixing. McKenzie even put his head on the block when he proclaimed that VAR would be available at the beginning of the coming season. He was adamant about that after crying foul in various matches, where wrong decisions were made by referees. He said he wanted to fix local football.
Referees who operate in PSL matches fall under the ambit of Safa, the football governing mother body in the country. On Friday, McKenzie told
Safa head of referees, Abdul Ebrahim, said: “Look, as you know, we have a VAR project team in place.
“
“
“To be honest, at the start of the season, we’re not going to have VAR because of the training. I don’t want to say there is no way that we will have VAR in the upcoming 2026/27 season. I’ve been involved in quite a few VAR training sessions. I can tell you now, the training is very extensive. At the start of the current season, without training, we won’t have the match officials to do VAR from the start,” Ebrahim said.
“It is part of the protocol.
PSL acting CEO Mato



