Minister welcomes end of prolonged taxi strike in Cape Town

Minister of Transport Sindisiwe Chikunga has expressed her joy after a resolution was found to the Cape Town taxi strike which ended on Thursday night.

In a statement on Friday, Chikunga congratulated the parties involved for reconvening and reaching an amicable solution that allowed for the resumption of normal taxi operations.

She commended the commitment shown by all stakeholders in working towards a resolution that aligned with the legal framework governing the industry.

While the strike has ended, Chikunga emphasized that the talks that led to the resolution have set a 14-day turnaround time for further discussions.

She will closely monitor the talks to ensure that the agreed-upon resolutions are implemented effectively and in a timely manner.

“The minister and government deeply regret the adverse effects the strike has had on learners, workers and all those affected in Cape Town and its surrounding areas,” reads the statement.

“The disruption caused by the impasse has had a negative impact on the local economy, and the minister acknowledges the challenges faced by individuals who rely on public transportation for their daily activities.

“Tragically, the strike has also resulted in the loss of life. Minister Chikunga urges law enforcement agencies to conduct a thorough investigation into these incidents and bring the perpetrators to justice.

“She extends her heartfelt condolences to the families and loved ones of those who have lost their lives during this period of unrest.”

Chikunga’s primary concern is the safe transportation of commuters and visitors in and around Cape Town, according to the statement.

She called for a cessation of hostilities and urged the parties involved to engage in constructive dialogue to resolve any outstanding issues.

“In the coming days, minister Chikunga will convene a media briefing to provide further updates on the situation and measures being taken to prevent future disruptions.

“The date and time of the briefing will be communicated shortly to ensure that the public and media are adequately informed.

“The minister remains committed to ensuring a safe and efficient public transportation system for all, and she encourages all parties to work together to achieve this goal.”

On Thursday, the SA National Taxi Council (Santaco) called off the strike with immediate effect.

In a statement on Thursday night, Santaco said: “It is with profound relief that we announce the cessation of the stayaway with immediate effect.

“This comes after painstaking deliberations and immense pressure on all parties involved.

“We are pleased to announce that a resolution was reached between the taxi industry and the government.

“There is an agreement that the next 14 days will be utilized to work towards the release of the vehicles that were wrongly impounded.”

At least five people were killed during the violent strike. Golden Arrow buses were also attacked.

Follow @SundayWorldZA on Twitter and @sundayworldza on Instagram, or like our Facebook Page, Sunday World, by clicking here for the latest breaking news in South Africa

Latest News