The drugs case against Senzo Meyiwa murder accused Muzikawukhulelwa Sibiya has been postponed to December 12 due to the magistrate’s ill-health.
Sibiya appeared before the Tembisa magistrate’s court on Friday for judgment in his drug and ammunition case.
He was arrested in May 2020 and charged for allegedly dealing in drugs and the possession of ammunition.
Presiding over the postponement, magistrate Mojapelo said the matter will only be heard once the magistrate returns to court.
Speaking to the media outside the court, National Prosecuting Authority spokesperson Phindi Mjonondwana said it was unfortunate the judgment could not proceed.
“Unfortunately we received news that the presiding officer (magistrate) is not feeling well so they are not at work today,” she said.
“The conviction is the prerogative of the court after it has considered all evidential material, but we believe that we have placed sufficient evidence as the state.”
Sibiya is one of the five men on trial for the murder of former football star Meyiwa in October 2014.
The Pretoria High Court hearing the Meyiwa trial, previously heard that when he was arrested for the drug dealing case, Sibiya allegedly confessed to the gruesome murder of the late Bafana Bafana and Orlando Pirates goalkeeper.
However, his lawyer has argued that he and another accused, Bongani Ntanzi, were assaulted and coerced into confessing.
The confessions were scrutinised in the trial within the Meyiwa trial seeking to determine admissibility.
However, early on Thursday the trial was adjourned after defence advocate Thulani Mngomezulu reported sick. The trial was therefore prematurely put on recess as it was postponed to January 22.
While the other accused are free from courtroom drama for the rest of the year, Sibiya will return to the Tembisa magistrate’s court this month to learn his fate.