EC Jazz Fest flop for Maxolo, Selota

Lindiwe reckons cash-strapped organiser used her


Jazz musicians Lindiwe Maxolo and Selaelo Selota were left shattered after they were unable to perform at the Eastern Cape Jazz Festival at the eleventh hour.

Maxolo was left stranded without a plane ticket to East London while police ended Selota’s performance before it began.

The two-day event took place at the East London City Hall on September 20 and Abbotsford Christian Centre on September 21. The event was a nightmare.

Patrons did not get what they paid for as the headliners, Maxolo and Selota, did not perform on the second day.

Maxolo, the Malili hitmaker, was left waiting for flight and accommodation details that never came.

Maxolo said she was hesitant of the event from the beginning because she could not reach an agreement with the founder and organiser of the event, Mlindi Ntloko, over payment, but the matter was later resolved and she secured her booking fee.

After hours of waiting for confirmation of the flight and accommodation, she accused Ntloko of using her name to attract her fans, claiming that the no-show had ruined her reputation.

“I was supposed to perform at the event but I now feel that my name was used to lure patrons to the event because it really doesn’t make sense why he would invite me, communicate with me then leave me hanging on the actual day.

“ I am scared that people will think that I am one of those artists that don’t pitch up when invited. That brings a bad reputation to the brand and I don’t want any bad stigma following me,” said Maxolo.

Renowned jazz artist Selota said though he was paid his booking fee, he was left shattered as the police dramatically cleared the crowd just before his performance.

The closing act, according to the event’s slot schedule, said his name had just been announced and he was preparing to go on stage when he saw the officers chasing patrons from the entertainment area.

“I feel there was just a lot of miscommunication, which caused all the unnecessary drama at the event.

“I don’t know about other artists, but I am disappointed because I had fully prepared for the concert, together with my band,” he said.

Ntloko referred to his first festival as a nightmare and admitted to facing financial constraints.

“This was the first event and there were some things I could not handle because I am self-funded. At least I managed to pay Maxolo, though I failed to pay for her flight and accommodation.

“I send my sincere apologies to everyone. There are so many things that went wrong, things that had our line-up and patrons mad at me but I am hopeful that the second one will be much better and I will be having support from the government,” he said.

By Boitumelo Kgobotlo

Latest News