EFF not fazed by ANC pulling out of planned protest action

The EFF announced on Monday that the party is going ahead with its planned shutdown of the Western Cape.

The province-wide protest action and planned march have been organised to show solidarity against the impounding of taxis by City of Cape Town traffic officials. 

In August, the metro seized a handful of minibus taxis that it claimed were not roadworthy and others that were said to be operating without valid documents.


Monday’s protest action has since garnered support from the SA National Civic Organisation, SA Federation of Trade Unions, Pan-Africanist Congress of Azania, and various community-based organisations.

The ANC, which had agreed to join the red berets in the protest action, said on Sunday it was withdrawing, noting that it does not agree with the protest being labelled a shutdown.

Meanwhile, the SA National Taxi Council said it appreciates the support against the impounding of its members’ vehicles, but said it will be business as usual for taxi drivers.

In August, the taxi council led a one-week strike that was marred by violence. At least five people were killed and Golden Arrow buses were attacked, some set alight.

On Monday, the EFF wrote on social media: “We are ready to take it to the streets of the @CityofCT today to say “NO” to unjust and frivolous taxi impoundments.

“Taxi struggles are people’s struggles and people’s struggles are land struggles. These struggles are intertwined.”


 

In the build-up to the planned shutdown, the red berets had been posting: “Be on the right side of history and join the EFF Western Cape provincial shutdown scheduled to take place on October 2.

“We say no more unjust taxi impoundments, no to gangsterism, no to collapsed service delivery, no to unemployment, no to unlawful evictions, no to racism!

“The days of the DA-led City of Cape Town draconian rule and racism are over.

“For too long have the poorest of the poor and working class been treated with disdain by the DA-led government. Enough is enough!”

 

Follow @SundayWorldZA on Twitter and @sundayworldza on Instagram, or like our Facebook Page, Sunday World, by clicking here for the latest breaking news in South Africa. 

Latest News

×