Kodwa keen to find solution to impasse over broadcast rights

Sports Minister Zizi Kodwa is calling for a permanent solution to broadcast issues that prevent millions of South Africans from having access to sport of national interest.

This after SuperSport, a subsidiary of MultiChoice, was locked in last-minute negotiations with SABC bosses to acquire the broadcasting rights for the 2023 Rugby World Cup.

Following days of uncertainty, MultiChoice agreed to sub-license broadcasting rights to the SABC, which will see the world cup being screened live on SABC’s channels.


In a statement on Friday, Kodwa voiced his concerns over the broadcasting issues that span from many years ago.

“This week began with much concern that most of the country would be unable to watch the 2023 Rugby World Cup on SABC channels,” reads the statement.

“This followed an impasse in negotiations between the SABC and MultiChoice on broadcast rights for the 2023 Rugby World Cup.

Kodwa said he had a discussion with the minister of communication and digital technology earlier in the week, and met with senior executives of the SABC to urge them to find a solution to the impasse with MultiChoice.

“I had made it clear that my interest in this matter was for all South Africans to have access to sport of national interest,” Kodwa said.

“I had also made clear the need to find a permanent solution to this matter, as it goes beyond rugby.”


He said all South Africans need to be able to watch national sporting teams performing on international platforms.

The Rugby World Cup tournament gets under way in France on Friday, with Springboks starting their Webb Ellis title defence campaign against Scotland on Sunday.

“A total of 16 matches may be broadcast by the SABC including the opening ceremony and opening match,” said MultiChoice on Thursday.

It said the SABC may also broadcast all matches that the Springboks participate in, two quarterfinal matches, one semifinal, the bronze final, the final, and the closing ceremony.

“Should the Springboks not qualify for the knockout stages, the above matches will, in any event, be available for broadcast.”

 

Follow @SundayWorldZA on Twitter and @sundayworldza on Instagram, or like our Facebook Page, Sunday World, by clicking here for the latest breaking news in South Africa. 

Latest News

×