One person has been confirmed dead following heavy downpours at the weekend in KwaZulu-Natal while hundreds others have been evacuated from their flooded homes.
The torrential rains, forecast by the South African Weather Services last week, come after more than 400 people were killed by the floods in the province in April, which prompted President Cyril Ramaphosa declaring a state of disaster.
The provincial department of education has now issued a statement advising parents to use their discretion on whether to send children to school this week.
“Due to weather conditions, the department of education in KwaZulu-Natal advises teachers, parents, and caregivers to use their discretion whether to send their children to schools on Monday. The department will equally monitor the weather patterns and further advise accordingly,” it said in a statement.
In April, the government said more than 630 schools were affected by the floods in the province with 101 of them being inaccessible and 124 suffering extensive damage.
Late in April, KwaZulu-Natal premier Sihle Zikalala reported that, as of April 24, 17 438 households had been affected by the disaster while 121 687 people were affected.
Follow @SundayWorldZA on Twitter @sundayworldza on Instagram, or like our Facebook Page, Sunday World, by clicking here for the latest breaking news in South Africa. To Subscribe to Sunday World, click here.