The stage is set for the “battle of the rallies” today as the two arch rivals stage parallel events in KwaZulu-Natal. It remains to be seen as to who will be the biggest crowd-puller of the two, EFF’s Julius Malema or the province’s own child, Ngizwe Mchunu.
The EFF is launching its elections manifesto at Durban’s Moses Mabhida stadium today. Mchunu is also hosting what he calls a “cultural event” at another venue in the province today.
However, ahead of his eagerly anticipated cultural carnival today, Mchunu faced challenges in setting up the venue at the Gugu Dlamini Park at The Workshop in Durban.
This after he failed to produce a permit. As a result, Metro cops were seen dismantling the stage. The former Ukhozi FM presenter admitted the incident.
Minor glitches resolved
However, he said all has been resolved, and it’s all systems go for the gig. “We had some challenges with setting up at the park. But all the required permissions have now been obtained,” he said.
He said he is expecting 3,000 people to attend his carnival, where several artists will entertain. Mchunu mocked EFF leader Julius Malema. He said Malema will address empty chairs at Moses Mabhida Stadium during the party’s manifesto rally today.
Free sanitary pads
The EFF has announced that it will give free sanitary pads to those attending their manifesto launch rally. Mchunu has made a U-turn on disrupting the EFF’s manifesto.
The controversial radio personality and sangoma had backtracked on his threats to stop the manifesto launch. He instead decided to stage a counter-event on the same day.
Cultural carnival as counter-event
Mchunu said: “I have decided to stage a cultural carnival for the Bhinca nation. I know most of them will attend the carnival instead of a political gathering. The decision is not based on threats to my life or whatsover.”
Mchunu and the EFF have been butting heads lately. The former radio motormouth had his press conference disrupted by EFF members last week. The party’s members were captured in a viral video dragging and kicking chairs, tables, and cameras. This was in a bid to interrupt the proceedings.
Mchunu opened a case of assault against the men who attacked him.
However, EFF provincial spokesperson Mazwi Blose, has denied that he was at the forefront of the disruptions. This is despite the evidence showing he was.
EFF denies attacks
“There’s no video where I appear to be entering. Social media allegations and fabrications must not be misread as facts. I have not been charged with anything, so I am unaware of any charges.”
Mchunu’s press conference was to provide a resolution on the current status quo of the programme on February 10.
The cat-and-mouse fight between Mchunu and the EFF has set tongues wagging.
Not welcome in Durban
In December, while addressing the media at Kwa Mai Mai in Joburg, Mchunu warned Malema against setting foot at the Moses Mabhida Stadium in Durban.
Mchunu had said that Malema and the EFF would not be welcome in KZN for their manifesto launch, as he was the gatekeeper of the province. He said Malema should launch his party manifesto in Limpopo, where his ancestors would listen to him.
“You can only bring Shangane people here. No Zulu person will attend his event at Moses Mabhida Stadium,” Mchunu said then.
He said Malema will only stage the rally at the KwaZulu-Natal venue if Mchunu is no longer around.
“Change the venue, mfana (boy). Uyongena ngifile (you’ll access the stadium when I’m dead),” said Mchunu, crossing his fingers.
Small boy label
However, the press conference ended without Mchunu elaborating on what he had in store to prevent Malema. He also accused Malema of literally soiling his (Mchunu’s) plate of food while he was eating.
He was referring to the decision by JAC Motors in Port Shepstone to end his vehicle sponsorship deal following pressure from the EFF. This was after the party accused him of perpetrating tribalism.
Malema threw a stinging jab when he referred to Mchunu as a “small boy”.