Ebola in DRC crosses 5 000 cases, outpacing containment efforts

  • Health officials in DR Congo warn that response efforts are failing to contain Ebola.
  • The number of confirmed Ebola cases now exceeds 5,000, with death toll nearing 2,500.
  • No approved vaccines or treatments yet of the Bundibugyo species of Ebola.

The number of confirmed Ebola cases in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) now exceeds 5,000, government data showed late on Tuesday, as health officials warn that response efforts are failing to contain the deadly disease.

Congo’s 17th Ebola epidemic turned into the biggest in the country’s history in terms of number of cases in late July and over the weekend the death toll hit 2,378, the public health institute said, surpassing the previous worst outbreak in 2018-2020.

READ: Ebola outbreak in DRC officially deadliest in country’s history

The institute has so far logged 5,021 cases, according to its latest situation report, making it the second-worst outbreak globally, behind only the 2014 to 2016 epidemic in West Africa in both infections and deaths.

The ongoing outbreak is caused by the Bundibugyo species of Ebola, which has no approved vaccines or treatments.

It has gained momentum since it was declared on May 15, as weak health infrastructure, community resistance, instability and protests by response workers hinder efforts to identify and respond to cases.

READ: Ebola takes severe toll on women and children in eastern DRC: UN

Resources are currently lagging requirements, and the WHO has raised about 60% of the $115 million it is ​seeking for the response.

However, the World Health Organization (WHO) on Tuesday said it was still possible to bring the Ebola outbreak under control within three months.

On the other hand, other leading officials told Reuters that between 70% to 80% of new cases have no known link to patients, meaning the virus is still spreading to unchecked in several areas.

Subscribe To Our Newsletter 

  • The number of confirmed Ebola cases in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) has exceeded 5,000, with 5,021 cases reported.
  • The death toll from the outbreak reached 2,378, surpassing the previous worst outbreak in 2018-2020.
  • The current outbreak is caused by the Bundibugyo species of Ebola, which has no approved vaccines or treatments.
  • Weak health infrastructure, community resistance, instability, and protests by response workers have hindered containment efforts.
  • The World Health Organization has raised about 60% of the $115 million needed and still believes the outbreak can be controlled within three months.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.